Monday, July 19, 2010

Memories- compiled July 16, 2010

Hey again Anderson Cousins,

Thanks for the comments and memories that have been shared thus far.

I have consolidated them and they are shown below in the order received. I have added a comment or two for clarification and hope no one takes any offense. It’s good to laugh at ourselves occasionally, or so I hear. Some comments were distributed to all but others were not.

I wanted to get this out to you before I leave to go hiking tomorrow. Yes… that’s right, hiking! Way up in the wilderness where there are bears (real ones not rugs). It should be fun and I have alerted Search and Rescue etc. I have three compasses, the best GPS available, a box of matches, and a dozen space blankets. Also my Cabella’s fly rod. But don’t worry… I’ll be fine. And if you don’t know the history, let’s not go there (as they say in some parts).

This will give you time to think of some more memories, maybe about people and relationships and happy times. Sometimes that is what it takes to get us through those times when we feel a little lost.

Here we Go:

From Peggy

Thanks so much for the memories. I don't remember much about grandpa's truck but the rest of those are pretty vivid. I remember the glass doors that closed the living room off from the rest of the house and grandpa's cigarette stand right next to his chair. The steps going downstairs were equally as steep as the ones going upstairs and there was certain death for anyone venturing down there. Do you remember the 7 dwarf dolls? I wonder whatever happened to them. I liked to walk up to the corner store and buy penny pieces. One time I took little Charlie with me. He looked at a girl standing in line, smiled at her and kicked her in the shin as hard as he could. How embarrassing! I had a thought after I emailed you. Wasn't the evil dog named Taco?

I don’t remember any 7 dwarfs but I remember the store and the candy. And I remember that cute little Charlie. I’m sure you are mistaken about that little angel kicking someone, he probably just tripped.

*************************************************************

Karen….

Brad, I think the Chihuahua's name was Taco not Chico. Chico is where you live!

Well, I just may have sent the wrong dog to purgatory. It was a huge effort just to spell Chihuahua and I maybe I got distracted. Just to make sure about this I am driving out to the city limits and checking the sign. If it says welcome to Taco then I am vindicated

Becky…

Oh what fun!! Some of your memories I had not thought about in years. Here are some of mine for the archives:

Thanks Becky. These are great.

-The kitchen cabinet door that went no where-just a piece of dry wall which had something written on it with paint

-Watching the drive-in movie from the upstairs bedroom window-the Anderson family private version of “Silent Movies”

-Dropping things through the mail slot on the front porch and retrieving the unauthorized items from the dining room cupboard. (Same game used on the laundry chute)

-Speaking of that dining room cupboard-it housed Grandma’s button bowl and a whole rack of poker chips and cards that were played with, stacked, dumped and counted by uncounted number of children.

-The white and blue Christmas tree. style="font-size:medium;">-Laying on the chaise lounge under that big apricot tree on the patio, pretending I was a Hollywood movie star.

-Sitting atop a pillow or two and driving the pink car to the farm to pick asparagus with Grandma.

-The old white Jeep with the Oga-Oga horn (how do you spell Oga anyway??)

-Helping Grandma in the garden, she would dig up a new potato, wipe off the dirt in her apron, a bit of peel would rub off, then we would eat it--dirt and all.

-the old piano chair that sat at the desk, we would spin on it for hours (and get in trouble for the same!!)

This was a great way to start the week, so many memories and so nice to take a few minutes to ponder them.

Becky you are in luck today! That was a 1947 Willys Jeep you remembered and John has it restored to pristine condition for anybody that wants a ride down memory lane. In fact, you could ride it in the upcoming Annabella parade if you want, and ooga all the way down Center Street. There is a picture of it above complete, with a restored Grandma:

Becky….

Karen, that is funny you said that—I just looked at that name over and over... then just determined that my old age was getting the best of me and I bought Brad’s version… LOL

Becky…don’t discount your old age just yet! And lets all forget about the dog’s name, ok?

More Becky….

Peggy-I don’t remember doing many things with Grandpa either, it must have been a girl thing in those days. I do vividly recall the ashtray and in fact I had it for years until it literally fell apart-I have the original glass ashtray that was in the metal stand, it is in my china closet.

Venturing downstairs brings up memories of being in grade school and sneaking to Tim’s room (later my Dad’s) and checking out the contents (getting in trouble by Grandma for doing so) and pondering how COOL it would be to be a teen ager.

Glenna

Got lots of memories, some I’ll share with you; but only one for now. My first memory of YOU is at the foot of those steep stairs, you treated my sister Corleen with a bite to her arm. You guys were only about a year old but I believe Charlie had a good teacher. It was TACO

Well Glenna….what can I say??

It’s hard to refute such an eyewitness account, but no doubt I was provoked… or hungry.

And yes… I messed up, and the dog’s name was TACO TACO TACO TACO TACO TACO TACO TACO!!!

Vicki…..

Hey Brad!

Great to read all the fun memories about Grandma and Grandpa's house. I must agree with Karen and Peggy tho--Taco was the name. You can skip the "romance" in Antimony story--no need to go there.

It’s great to hear from you Vickie! How’s the weather in Arizona?? It was 107 today here in Taco… or wherever I live. So now that the stupid dog’s name is fully resolved, how about just a few thoughts on that summer romance thing??? I’ll change the names and nobody will ever guess.

By the way, isn’t it funny everyone is focused on that cranky mutt? Probably because it indeed left a strong impression on many young minds and a few scars on some fingers. But nobody said anything about the bear article. Glutton for Mutton… Thug Now a Rug. What classic journalism!

By the way, how is your mother? Does she have anything to share? Hope you are well.

Joe….

Actually, I'd like to hear about the romance too.

Joe I think you are too young to hear about these things.

I know what you mean though. I’d like to hear it too, but you see, it didn’t actually happen, at least according to all the denials I keep getting. Be patient, maybe something will show up someday.

Be well, Brad

More Joe

And as far as Taco goes, I remember she could usually be found burrowed deep into an afghan on the couch in the family room. I also remember Uncle Hal taking great delight in grabbing hold of an edge of that afghan when Taco was in it and giving it a great rank, ala the 'old table cloth trick', launching Taco into a rolling arc across the room. No wonder she was cranky!

Joe, please don’t let the PETA people hear this.

Corleen…

Hey Brad, this is great. I didn't get the attachment, however. Can you resend it?
Here is the picture you didn’t get… Don’t blame me if you get nightmares!!!

Marilyn….

Hi everyone, I know I'm way behind reading these fun memories and I'm so old that no one else (well, maybe Kathy, she's old too) would remember what I do. One thing I do know, the dog's name was Taco and he gave Steve all kinds of runny noses and swollen eyes because he was allergic to him! I also remember riding up the canyon in the back of Grandpa's cattle truck at Easter time and digging little "ditches" in the dirt on the hill to roll our eggs down. Mom has pictures of both of these, I believe Ronnie and Glenna were the babies then. One of these Easter mornings we went to the farm and there was a brand new little foal; Tim named her "Easter". Whenever we went on the mountain, I rode behind Tim on his horse and Kathy always rode with Grandma on Rosie. I got pink eye from Tim one trip; not sure what Kathy got from Grandma!

Marilyn!! Those aren’t fuzzy memories! That was child labor! Those were irrigations ditches you were digging and they probably later caused serious erosion issues… and getting pink eye and Steve blaming the stupid dog for some allergies. Close your eyes and think happy, warm, thoughts. Didn’t you ever get to poach a deer with grandpa or catch water snakes in the meadow on Booby Hole? It really is nice to hear from you. Poke Kathy for us and get a memory out of her.More to come.

No comments: