Sunday, February 15, 2009

Adventures of a DNA strand

My paternal DNA sailed across the Atlantic in 1868 on the packet ship Emerald Isle. It was actually contained in the biological structure of my Great Grandfather Thomas Ogden, but he had no knowledge of DNA strands or markers or even genetics in general. My genetic blueprint was just along for a free ride. But the trip, according to written records and journals, was miserable and deadly due to contaminated water, inadequate supplies, and a poorly disciplined crew. At one point when a crew member attacked a female passenger he was yanked away by the scruff of his shirt by a rather larger Scandinavian saint. The surrounding crew then rallied to their shipmate’s defense and tension between crew and passengers escalated to the level of a British soccer match. The leader of the saints pointed to the ships Captain and reminded him of prior agreements as well as rules of common decency. To make the point complete, he patiently explained that the Scandinavian men on board would have no problem sailing the vessel better than the existing crew. The not-so-subtle message was quickly understood and civility restored.


Of course my DNA strand heard none of this because it was hanging over the rail, green, and sick, and occasionally heaving up a few particles of genetic material into the ocean. To this day I am easily nauseated on any sea faring boat and it’s obvious that the source of this weakness was there on the Emerald Isle.


2 comments:

Nate said...

Apparently my DNA came across on that ship as well...I never have been too "sea-worthy" Great name for a ship though!

Patrick said...

I think some of my DNA was lost overboard on that voyage. Good story.